The taste of the extreme
In addition to being an exceptional human adventure, the Dakar is a unique, intense and extreme competition that has a durably profound effect on all those who take part in it.
Held in Latin America, the 2019 Dakar features 10 competitive legs which promise to prolong the event’s reputation as one of the toughest sporting challenges of our age, as well as an incomparable human adventure forged in the planet’s remotest deserts by men and women from all horizons.
An uncompromising test of driving and navigational skills, the Dakar brings together cross-country rallying’s top stars and amateurs looking to live the dream, experience real adventure and rise to one of the biggest challenges around, whether they are competing on a motorcycle or quadbike, or behind the wheel of a truck or car.
The world’s biggest rally
- +500 competitors / 61 nationalities
- Total route length: 5,000km
- The 1th Dakar to take place in South America
- 10 days of racing
- 41st running of the rally
- 29 countries visited by the Dakar to date
- 2nd biggest motor racing event in the world
- 4.5 million spectators lining the route
- 2 all-lady crews
- New in 2019: the car class now incorporates UTVs and SSVs
An extraordinary media interest
- 1,200 hours of total TV coverage
- 70 TV networks broadcasting the rally in 190 countries
- 1,460 accredited journalists representing 34 different nationalities
- Daily engagement of more than 3 million followers in 2018
An eco-responsible event
- A course designed in collaboration with the local authorities in each country
- Selective sorting and waste treatment programme with local authorities
- 100 tons of waste collected then recycled on the Dakar bivouacs, with 58 coming from “Punto Verde”